Monday, March 28, 2016

Dusting off my bible

After my quick run this morning, I realized I still had time to do my bible study before both kids woke up and I would get distracted. So, to make it a COMPLETE distraction free study, I would use my bible (yes that tangible book you can actually hold and flip through the pages with).  You see, all too often, I set out on a study with God using my phone or tablet, only to get distracted by the constant beeps, rings, or alerts of Facebook, gmail, etc. and miss out on what God really wants to share with me.

Well, when I retrieved my bible from it's bookshelf, I admit I had to wipe off the dust and shamefully remove a couple cobwebs. It was there that I realized, I too needed to be dusted.  I can use the distractions of life as an excuse as long as I'm willing to hinder my walk with God. He is not going to fight for my attention, why should He?  He's always there if I will just take time to listen beyond the loudness of life, beyond the distractions, to the "gentle whisper" (1 Kings 19:11-13)

How many of us need to dust off cobwebs from our hearts and "strengthen our tired arms and weak knees" (Hebrews 12;12) by lifting them heavenward while in prayer. I pray that you too "do not ignore the One who is speaking" but remove the distractions of life to hear and spend time with Him.

 Hebrews 12:25-29

No comments:

Post a Comment